Thursday, October 15, 2009

Trout.

There are some loose ends that I need to clear up, like the couple of weekend trips that I haven't written about yet. So here goes:
A few Sundays ago (Sunday, the 4th), we were having a leisurely morning around the house when Angel came upstairs to ask us if we wanted to go to Cajas for trout. I thought, "Wow, that's super random," but Slocomb thought it would be cool so we went. We drove south from our house and then west on Ordoñez Lasso until we got to Cajas. Apparently this is also one of the roads to Guayaquil, so it can be a little bit busy. Also, it was plenty curvy enough, so I'm not sure I'd like to take it in a big bus like those to Guayaquil.When I say we went to Cajas, I'm referring to one of Ecuador's National Parks that for some reason is known for having yummy trout. We didn't actually go into the park (it costs $10 per person) but we were about as close as possible without having to pay. We parked on the road outside this restaurant about 15-20 feet from the entrance to the park.
The restaurant that we went to was very busy and had lots of long tables (seating 10 people or more). It seemed as if it was one of those places where several groups would end up at the same table. Angel, Slocomb and I sat at one of the tables for six, but we didn't end up with anyone else with us.Angel ordered lunch for us: a block of queso fresco to share, a bowl of choclo (big, white, Ecuadorian corn), a trout and a side of rice and corn for each of us. A whole trout. With the head and the skin still on. It was a little intimidating to start with, but once I actually tasted the trout, I realized why Cajas was so well known for its trout. It was incredible, and I don't even like fish that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment