Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Anecdotes from the weekend...

What has come to pass... Since last time...
I guess I’ll start from last Friday. That was the next eventful thing. Friday night Slocomb and I went to a Deportiva Cuenca soccer game with our friend Jonatan from school. We sat in the Tribuna section (meaning better than general admission but not super expensive), which meant that we were under the roof. It turned out to be a semi-cold evening, so I was glad we were sheilded from the wind. Before the game, Jonatan introduced us to a yummy burger place across from the stadium, so it was a very productive trip out.
The game was played against a team called Olmedo. I think that they are from near Quito, but I’m not sure. Every year in Ecuador, they play a tournament called the Cuadrandulares (groups of four - there are two groups of four). This game was the final of DC’s quadrangle, so they are getting to play the winner of the other quadrangle for the championship (this Sunday, I think). Anyway, it was a pretty important game. DC scored early in the first half, but right before the half, Olmedo scored. DC was awarded a penalty shot (which they made) in about the 75th minute, and Olmedo wasn’t able to recover, so DC won 2-1. Part of the reason that Olmedo wasn’t able to recover was because they were given two red cards (meaning that by the end of the game, Olmedo was playing with 9 players instead of the usual 11) and about 9 yellow cards (warnings). DC got two yellow cards as well, but no reds. DC also just out-played Olmedo. DC kept possession for most of the game, meaning that the goalie was on the other side of the field by himself, doing calethenics to keep warm! It was pretty funny to see that and it was a fun game to watch.
After the game, we met up with some of our other friends from school to go out for a little while. We walked from the stadium to the place we were meeting them, meaning that we walked a long way down Calle Larga where all of the clubs are. It was interesting because there were tons of people just outside on the street socializing and whatnot. Nothing sketchy going on; just a very vibrant street.
We went out with the student teachers from the University of Whitewater as well as Pepé, the music teacher. Jenn and one of her friends met up with us later too. When we got to the first club, they wanted us to pay a $5 cover and buy two drinks in addition. So, essentially it was a $10 cover. Not a big deal in the States, but when you only make $16 a day, a $10 cover is a bit expensive. So we went to this other place that we like, Once. But when we got there, they said they were having a private party. Pepé and all of the girls gave the bouncer a sad face, so he let us in. So we spent a few hours at Once, relaxing and hanging out. And the best part was that for 9 people, the bill was only $37. Woot.
This weekend we just hung out and did almost nothing. Which was really nice. We did some laundry and I cooked some chili. We did go out Sunday afternoon for lunch and to find some information about the biennial exhibition that’s going on in Cuenca right now (its pretty much just a huge art show). We normally don’t go into town on Sundays, and apparently no one else does either! The downtown was practically deserted! And we had to really search for a place to eat lunch because almost everything was closed. We ended up eating at this touristy place on the main square. It was pretty nice because they served traditional-ish Ecuadorian food but in a way more palatable to tourists than going to the market to buy the stuff. If I were just traveling to Cuenca, I would probably feel comfortable eating Ecuadorian food there. But since I live here, I’ll just buy it at the market for a quarter as expensive!
Yesterday was a long day. One of the national teachers at the school is out sick with and infection of some kind, so I spent a good bit of the day in her classroom helping out the student teacher. And I was back in that classroom today because Tami is still sick. Even though it is hard to be in the class all day with almost no break, it was really good because I think the boys in the class got a lot more used to having me around. I may try to be around more often just because it makes the class more responsive to me when I’m trying to teach if I been around not trying to teach.
One of the other teachers asked me today why I was spending so much time in the preschool classroom. I told her that because the national teacher was gone, I felt like it was our job as international teachers (meaning not in a classroom all of the time anyway) to step up and help out. I look at is as a team effort and also a reciprocal one. I have vacation days that I plan to take full advantage of and (maybe) some sick days too. So I hope that the other teachers will be able to help me out. In return, I’ll help them out when they are gone for one reason or another. The teacher I was talking to didn’t understand why I was inconveniencing myself for something that wasn’t strickly my job. I guess we just have a different understanding of what’s part of our jobs. Which is really frustrating. True, no one asked me to spend extra time in that classroom. But since I’m expecting them (the national teachers) to help me, I am obliged to help them. Also, I feel like the national teachers work really hard to start with. They are in the classroom for the whole day, while the international team only has an average of two or three teaching hours a day. And we have built in vacation days (which the national teachers don’t). So I feel in all fairness, we should pick up the slack when necessary. Anyway, rant about work ethic over.
Yesterday afternoon we went to one of our favorite restaurants in town, Moliendo Cafe. Not only do they have really good food, but they have wonderful Columbian coffee. And in a country where Nescafe is pretty much what people drink, real brewed coffee is an amazing treat. My Spanish class yesterday didn’t go very well (because everyone was tired and it was all about irregular verbs - uuggghhh), but its all good. I have class again tomorrow, so hopefully we’ll all have more energy.
Today we went to a Cuban restaurant next to the building where Slocomb and I have class. Its mainly just a burger kind of place, but the burgers were really good. They also have batidos (essentially fruit milkshakes that are very common in the Carribbean), which Slocomb says taste like real Carribbean batidos. Not sure how Slocomb knows what they’re supposed to taste like (except that he has a Cuban friend or two)... but whatever. We got to talking with the owner (well, Slocomb got to talking to the owner because I couldn’t understand his Spanish at all), and his is one of those really sad immigration stories. I don’t how when he moved to Ecuador, but he owns a restaurant, so its obviously been a good bit of time. But his family (wife and children) are still in Cuba trying to emigrate. He told us that on Sundays, when everything is closed and people spend time with their families, he just sits at home buy himself. And the saddest part is that his wife just had a baby. Back in Cuba. Anyway, Slocomb and I plan to go back to the restaurant (especially for the batidos). I’m hoping that we can become friends with him and spend time with him on Sundays so that he’s not all alone thinking about his family far away.
Anyway, on a happier note, Slocomb and I are going to Las Playas (a beach town about 5 hours away) this weekend. We have Monday and Tuesday off of school for the celebration of Cuenca’s independence (in 1820), so we’re going on Sunday and coming back Tuesday in time for the huge fireworks display planned). Anyway, here’s hoping we don’t get too sunburned.

No comments:

Post a Comment