Thursday, August 20, 2009

One thing I forgot!

Sorry, I forgot one thing that I found exciting. I'm sure there will be others, but I'll add as I think of them.
On Tuesday evening as we were hanging out in the downtown of Cuenca, a group of people were marching around the square, obviously protesting something. Nothing disorderly, but not something that we see in the US on an everyday basis.
Neille said today that she read in the paper that they were workers from the tire factory (Cuenca's main industry) protesting the firing of twenty or so workers who were powerful in the union. Also, the workers and management came to the agreement that the fired union workers would be re-hired.
Anyway, Neille says that people don't go on strike very often here, but it was still funny that the second fully day I was in Ecuador, a strike broke out...

No comments:

Post a Comment