Saturday, August 29, 2009

Just a quick note...

Hi Everyone,
Slocomb and I are about to leave to go to Yungilla, a vacation town about a hour from Cuenca. One of our co-workers, Maria, has a uncle who has a home in Yungilla, complete with pool and warmer weather than in Cuenca. So we're going to spend tonight and most of tomorrow hanging out with our CEDEI co-workers and having a relaxing weekend.
It has been a very busy week, so I haven't had a lot of time to post. On Tuesday, we met the rest of the international staff, meaning Erin from Minnesota and Jennifer and Livia from California. Maria is the international staff coordinator and is originally from Cuenca but lived in Minnesota for 20 years.
Wednesday we went on a guided tour of the city and the surrounding area including the towns of San Bartolomé, Chordeleg, and Gualaceo (see pictures on my facebook). I'll write more about the tour later.
Thursday we had the day off, so Slocomb and I finally got the phone situation worked out. Our phone number (if calling from the States) is 011 593 08 144 6690. Incoming calls for us are free, so call us if you want. However, it'll probably cost you an arm and a leg to call, so maybe we should keep it to emergencies only.
Yesterday we had a noon meeting (meaning that it started at 12:30) about the school's teaching philosophy and mission. We'll get into the nitty-gritty of school stuff starting Tuesday when all of the teachers will be at the school planning. The kids' first day is September 7, so we have a lot to do next week!
Anyway, there's a quick recap of this week. I'll write in more detail tomorrow hopefully. Things are going very well here in Ecuador, and I hope that the same can be said about all of you guys!

p.s. I miss Ted Kennedy.

1 comment:

  1. I looked up your school's website. Looks like an interesting place to work. I noticed that Paolo Freire is one of the people listed as contributing to the philosophy of the school (not really surprising). Have you ever read his book Pedagogy of the Oppressed? You should try to find a copy if you can. That is the next book in my program's book study list.

    ReplyDelete